Homemade Vegan Fricassee

Hello Everyone My sister came to me complaining the other day about how her school doesn't offer any vegetarian food or option. She s...

Hello Everyone

My sister came to me complaining the other day about how her school doesn't offer any vegetarian food or option. She said that her they had fricassee as an offer today and traditionally it is made with chicken breast which well is not on the meal plan of a vegetarian - obviously. The dilemma she was in, was that the desperately craved it now since we ate it a lot in our childhood and it is connected to good old days memories.
I told her I would veganize it for her which would be a perfect opportunity for me in experimenting and widen our vegan horizons. Today I want to take you with me on that journey.

For 4 small or 2 large servings you need:

500g mushrooms
1/2 onion
1-2 cloves of garlic
some oil (I prefer coconut oil)
Salt & pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice
2 tablespoons rice flour
1 1/2 - 2 cups water
1/2 cup (70g) + cashews 1/2 cup water (the cashews best for at least 6 hours to soak in filtered water)
Fresh lemon juice 1-2 tablespoons
2-3 carrots
1 1/2 cups green peas (I used frozen)

Six to eight hours before
Soak your cashew nuts in water.


preparation:
Cut the mushrooms into thin slices.
Cut the carrots into thin slices.
Peel and chop onion and garlic finely.




Next Step: 
- fry the onions with a bit of oil then add the mushrooms. After 7 - 10 minutes add the water and let it cook on a low flame.
- Set up your carrots to cook and bring then to a boil for 5 minutes.
Whilst the onions and mushroom are cooking you prepare your cashew mixture. Simply put the water and cashews in a food processor until it mixed up well.


When this is done you add the cashew mixture into the pan of onions and mushrooms. Right after you add the to tablespoons of flour (I used lens flour) to thicken. The mixture then gets a creamy consistency which is what you aim for.


Now you add your carrots and peas and set up some water for the rice. 


Rice is done ;) You can also add this onto pasta or have it with potatoes but traditionally it is eaten with rice and I prefer it that way as well.


And this is the finished meal. Once again we have proven that we can veganize any meal easily and make it healthy and from scratch. It was easy to make, easier than I had thought but well. My sister who is a picky eater loved it (Next time (she wants a next time!!) just less mushrooms please she said)



I seriously hope you will try it, if not you well have missed out! 

Until next time!



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images